100 Must-Read Books For Men

Whenever one of those “100 Books You Must Read” lists come out, I'm always a bit ashamed that, even as a former English major, I find that I've barely read any of them.

But now, finally, a list where I have read, well, about the same proportion as any other “Top 100 Books” list.

100 Must-Read Books: The Essential Man’s Library

The MetaFilter thread links to an earlier thread about the reading choice differences between men and women.

(via MetaFilter)

Yeah, I went through this last night, I've read 10 of them.. which is no more poor a showing than usual, as you've said.
    Lots of Steinbeck on the list…which is interesting, since I, admittedly, am not a Huge Steinbeck fan, maybe it's just because I'm a woman…just kidding.
    The idea that we 'must' read certain things, is not a concept I've ever been entirely comfortable with, unless of course, I'm recommending a book, then it should be a 'must'. 😉
    Although, I must say, I do intend to read the Art of War one of these days, as it appears to be a mythic tome..although, I'm betting, I probably won't love it.
    It's all food for thought though..

Posted 15 May 2008 at 4:01 pm

I don't understand why this list is particularly targeted to men. I've read most of the books on this list, but don't consider many of them to be particularly male-centric.

Posted 15 May 2008 at 7:50 pm

Ya, I've read most of the list, and I'm not a boy, so, now I'm wondering about my manly/womanly quotients. Yikes! I think I'll just go with the whole construction of gender and fluidity of sexuality thang on this one.

Posted 16 May 2008 at 1:26 am

I think the same unofficial rule for “must read” lists as applies to mix tapes should apply – no duplicate artists – of which this fellow has many.
    Speaking of mix tapes, there was a comment in the MetaFilter thread that “High Fidelity” was the definitive “guy” book and “Bridget Jones” was the definitive “gal” book.
    I've read them both and would say I enjoyed them both quite a bit but yeah, High Fidelity takes it for me, mainly because I kept saying “yeah! Exactly!” as I read. Also, how did Nick Hornsby get inside my brain?

Posted 24 May 2008 at 7:03 am

I think the author was going for stereotypical “male” subject matter and manly authors. But otherwise, pretty much the same type of gimmick as any “must read” list of best classics/top SF/great dog books or whatever.

Posted 24 May 2008 at 7:06 am

I did an online test once that rated your gender bias and scored 60% female/40% male. I was always inordinately proud of that result.

Posted 24 May 2008 at 7:07 am