This Blog Is Now Officially Worth The Same In USD as CND Dollars

The Canadian dollar hit parity with the US dollar for the first time in thirty-odd years today due to a combination of a booming natural resources sector in Canada and the US having a fuckwit for a President a lagging US economy full of government deficit spending, sub-prime mortgages crashing, a never-ending war, massive trade imbalances and so on.

What does this mean for Canada?  I'll leave that to smarter people than I to speculate on but I do know I'm looking forward to my next US shopping trip – cheap shoes and booze for this boy!

Also, see MetaFilter for some interesting commentary including discussion of why US and Canadian books have different prices printed on them and what dollar parity might mean for the publishing industry.

I'm really looking forward to some hardcore outlet mall shopping…this is one of the few perks of living in Windsor.

Posted 21 Sep 2007 at 11:48 am

Hehe fuckwit…classic.
    Did you see Clinton on Jon Stewart last night…chit chatting about what he might do if Hilary is elected…whoever inherits the war and the economy is going to have a lot of rebuilding to do.
    But, bonus on the american outlet shopping, I think I might need to plan a trip 😉

Posted 21 Sep 2007 at 3:08 pm

[gasp]
    Can you *say* “fuckwit” on blogs?
    hee hee hee. We have to do the Freedom to Read Week show again, Jason.

Posted 21 Sep 2007 at 8:56 pm

The irony is that the cheap shopping makes a trip to the US very attractive but I've called their President a fuckwit in a public forum so now I'm probably on a list and won't get across the border.

Posted 22 Sep 2007 at 1:58 pm

…and better cross-border shopping probably one of the few perks of a dollar that's equal to the American dollar too.
    Our resources/export sector are going to take a beating – but at the risk of sounding like some hardcore capitalist economist, we need to be able to compete in a global market no matter where the dollar's at. One way to do this is to add value to our exports (someone made the comment – why do we export so much lumber as a raw material then buy it all back as IKEA furniture at a massive mark-up???)
    Uhm, but I'm getting a bit sidetracked…yay Target!

Posted 22 Sep 2007 at 2:00 pm

Didn't see the Bill on Jon Stewart. What's the male equivalent of “First Lady” – I don't think “First Gentleman” is quite appropriate for Slick Willy (er, which I just realised is a fitting nickname in more ways than one. Also, yuck that this thought is now in my head.)

Posted 22 Sep 2007 at 2:02 pm

Remember the following phrase: “No, I'm not *that* Jason Hammond. I'm a *librarian*, man. You want information? I give you information.”
    [grin]
    How much does the dollar parity affect online sales?

Posted 22 Sep 2007 at 2:51 pm

That Metafilter thread has a lot about the pricing of books and the related issue of ordering from Amazon.com over Amazon.ca to save money, even when shipping is taken into account.
    I also read somewhere that the Canadian tech industry will be as hard hit by this as our resources and export sector because in many ways, the tech sector is another export commodity, just like lumber or grain. (“Canada: A Slightly More Expensive India”)

Posted 24 Sep 2007 at 2:20 am