I'M DONE!!!

A final circle closes – my last chat for Advocacy class tonight was with former Saskatchewan Provincial Librarian (and current Director of the Coquitlam Public Library), Maureen Woods.  Great teleconference which finished with a very revealing “round table” as everybody talked about what they'd taken from the class.  And that's it.  No more assignments.  No more deadlines.  I was talking to someone recently who finished in the summer and he said “It's hard to believe how quickly it all drops away.”  Yep, it feels like it already has!  So anyhow, look out libraries!

Yet another circle – roughly a year ago to the day, I met up with Michelle D. who was also from Regina and would be starting the program with me.  We drove out to Regina's east end to have a visit with Jason B. who graduated from the program a few years ago and was going to give us the scoop (and who would probably claim he convinced both of us to apply although, at least in my case, that's not quite true since I'd been thinking of applying for about oh, ten years or so!  )  We were driving out and “Fairytale of New York” was on the radio and I was like “This is the best Christmas song of all-time!”.  Michelle concurred and I don't know why but that felt like a good omen – I probably thought “Okay, I know there'll be at least one cool person at library school I can talk to!”   So on that note…a Christmas moment with Shane MacGowan.

(By the way, Shane, what do you think of me being a librarian?  <mumble>Brush yer teeth, boy!</mumble>)

Congrats, Jason. And thanks for the Shane and the Kirsty. Made my night…and believe it or not we cover a SHane McGowan tune/Pogues really…dirty old town…& Brian sings it and when we did at the Round Tower Brian really did his best to sound like Shane…
    I can't quite wrap my head around you lot gone….And Fiacre already flown. Hope he's fine out there, describing our bibiliographic world. You all certainly changed mine. That's the Shane talkin' you lads n lassies. ANd why aren't you in bed, already! night, Linda B.

Posted 14 Dec 2006 at 5:23 am

Congrats on officially finishing…nice Christmas carol and that's quite the impressive list of lists you've assembled…the FIMS community will be able to stay informed for years to come…three cheers for Librarian Jason! 😛 Or is it Hammond MLIS, Jason?

Posted 14 Dec 2006 at 4:49 pm

I don't know whether to congratulate you … or Shea. Either way, you both have your life back.
    (I'm only done for the term and I already feel like I've just been freed from prison – all of a sudden I have time for normal, every day things, like making dinner and paying bills and doing laundry, without feeling guilty like there's something else I should be doing).
    Welcome back to the real world. Say hi to it for me.
    And CONGRATULATIONS on making it through the program, not just alive but well. Fingers are being crossed for you on your job hunt.

Posted 14 Dec 2006 at 8:39 pm

Congratulations, of course, on your finishing, and finishing well.
    Have you seen Shane lately? Last photos I saw of him, he was in a wheelchair, with even fewer teeth, very puffy and very yellow. Not a huge surprise, but kind of sad. Great video – they changed up the lyrics.
    And Merry Christmas, of course.

Posted 14 Dec 2006 at 9:08 pm

Ha! I think it's very important to try to sound like Shane when doing Pogues songs – adds to the ambiance!
    It's going to be tough being done school – I'm going to miss hanging out with such a great group of people in such a stimulating setting (er, not that the library job I hope to get won't be the same of course! )

Posted 15 Dec 2006 at 1:39 pm

Every slide of every Powerpoint presentation I do from here on in will proudly proclaim “Jason Hammond, MLIS”. (For anyone who doesn't know, that's a reference to a professor we had who put his credentials on every single slide – yikes!)

Posted 15 Dec 2006 at 1:41 pm

Shea probably deserves congratulations as much as I do – having to uproot her life to move across the country and then doing the working thing while I was doing the school thing (very different worlds!)
    But Shea was also able to integrate fairly well with the library students and from the first time I took her to the Grad Club to meet David & Sabina and Paul & Kelly, she was dubbed an honourary LIS student and lived up to that, even submitting to the Book Zine in the summer!

Posted 15 Dec 2006 at 1:44 pm

I read an article somewhere about how Shane MacGowan had become this…target?…that his audience wasn't there for the music but to see the drunken spectacle he'd become and how people close to him weren't friends but enablers for his behaviour.
    This may be the photo to which you refer (or a close facsimile):

Posted 15 Dec 2006 at 1:54 pm

Fiacre is coming to work with me! Well, kind of, since I'm leaving when he's coming! (Not that I know him at all).

Posted 15 Dec 2006 at 4:35 pm

Congratulations and good luck with the job hunt and move back home!
    I'm glad to have met you, even just the once, because you know, I never know when I might need an expert in top 50 lists :p

Posted 15 Dec 2006 at 4:37 pm

Oh, the things you learn in library school. 🙂
    Congratulations!!! Wow, I can't believe you guys are done already. Was that really a whole year? It doesn't seem like it somehow. 🙂

Posted 16 Dec 2006 at 6:23 pm

Congrats on the changes in your working life as well. So is Fiacre the new you or is he filling a different opening?

Posted 19 Dec 2006 at 4:47 am