Here’s a list of some the most memorable moments from this wild and wacky primary season.
For the record, here’s the list
- Trump launches his campaign by calling Mexicans “rapists”
- The Bernie movement is born
- Trump attacks a Fox journalist saying “blood coming out of her…wherever”
- Bernie doesn’t take opportunity to attack Clinton on e-mails in early debate
- Clinton testifies on Benghazi for 11 hours
- Trump loses first primary in Iowa and behaves…graciously?
- Jeb Bush: “Please clap?”
- Chris Christie taunts repetitive Marcobot
- Trump rallies become increasingly violent
- Cruz’ last stand: “Trump is utterly amoral”
That’s a pretty good summary of the “highlights” of the primary season but I’ll add a few of my own not mentioned on this list…
- In an early Democratic debate in response to a question about “who your enemies are”, Jim Webb says something about “all the people he killed in war”.
- Trump actually alludes to the size of his penis being “no problem” during a Republican debate after being attacked about the size of his hands.
- Bernie Sanders beats Hillary in fundraising for three (?) months in a row proving his point that you can succeed with a grassroots campaign.
- That bird that landed on his podium at one rally and inspired many “Birdie Sanders” memes
- Trump holds a press conference where he basically tries to sell his steaks and bottled water products
- Cruz tries to kiss his daughter who pulls away. At a different event later in the campaign, he tries to hug his wife and bops her in the face
- Chris Christie’s shocked, stunned face standing behind Trump after endorsing him while Trump makes the odd crack at Christie standing right behind him.
- Bernie’s win in Michigan which is the biggest upset (based on polls) in thirty years.
- The Attorney General’s report is released confirming that Hillary did violate the rules and many of her statements about her private e-mail server were lies.
- Clinton and Trump actually clinching their respective nominations have to be considered memorable moments – for *very* different reasons.
Wow, to show how many memorable moments there have been, here’s another list I found which has a number of moments that weren’t covered in either list above!
- Trump defends the size of his hands and by extension, his penis
- Carly Fiorina sings
- Jeb Bush “Please clap!”
- Christie’s face behind Trump
- Kasich hugs a supporter
- Republican candidates miss their cue to enter a debate stage
- “Sick and tired of your damn e-mails!”
- Hillary tongue-lashes a Greenpeace protester
- Rubio accuses Cruz of not being able to speak Spanish
- A team of young cheerleaders in US-flag outfits sings a song praising him before Trump takes the stage
- Birdie Sanders
[Update – here’s the mother of all “memorable election” lists with 65 items!]