“Lazarus” – David Bowie
David Bowie, one of the most influential, durable and creative musicians of the past half century, died today. He released his final album only a couple days ago on his 69th birthday then passed away after living with cancer for 18 months.
One of the songs on his new album, “Lazarus” takes on even deeper meaning when you realise Bowie wrote it and created the video knowing the end was near.
Here’s some randomness about one of the best artists of the last half century…
- Reactions from around the world
- Bowie, a noted book lover, said his idea of happiness was “Reading”, the quality he most liked in a man was “Ability to return books”, and he described himself as a “librarian with a sex drive”. (Hey!)
- David Bowie’s 75 “Must Read” Books
- To make you feel inadequate, visit: What did David Bowie do at your age? (“He formed a new band, “Tin Machine”. The band consisted of David Bowie on lead vocals and guitar, Reeves Gabrels on guitar, Tony Sales on bass, and Hunt Sales on drums.’.”)
- As always, MetaFilter has tons of insightful comments, links and reminiscences.