10 Things I Thought I Might Blog About Today

Just as TV and video games are changing the neural pathways of kids, I think having a blog has had a similar effect on me.

Throughout the day, I frequently think “Oh, that witty comment is something I should blog about” or “Hmm, that idea I came across on Huffington Post deserves sharing” or “I could really go on a rant about this!”

99.9% of these post ideas never come to fruition and often, when I’m at home watching TV while trying to think about what today’s post will be, my mind often goes completely blank.  So I thought I’d try to do a sample list to capture some of the things that struck me as potential blog fodder today:

THINGS I CONSIDERED BLOGGING ABOUT TODAY
1. Something about how much time is wasted by people who ride the bus but simply sit there – not reading, not listening to music, not surfing the Net on their smart phone, not talking to someone they know.

2. How much I’m enjoying the book “One Day” and a few reasons why that’s the case.

3. Related to that last point, an overview of my semester exchange to York England and (Shea and Pace, please skip to the next line!) why I still think of it as the best four month stretch of my life.  (And how I’m still envious when I hear of someone who’s got a very similar profile to myself in terms of education, work experience and interests is living in York right now.)

4. Pace’s new daycare (which is just a newly opened satellite of his current daycare, this new one is walking distance from our house, has all new toys and furniture and many of his favourite staff who moved over from his old daycare when this one opened last month.)

5. How good it feels to be told you can do something when you expect to be told no and some thoughts on creating a culture of “yes”.

6. My NHL Predictions

7. The list of proposed sessions for next year’s CLA conference.

8. The return of Books to Beers after a summer hiatus.  (Feel free to pop by if you’re in Regina on Friday!)

9. Something about atheism

10. A cool web site I came across while searching for the pronunciation of a baby’s name I saw on a friend’s Facebook profile.

1. SJM wrote:

Your comment re people on the bus who “simply sit there” caught my interest. The inference being that they’re not doing anything ‘productive’. But we don’t know that do we? The mind is an incredibly busy place that can be preoccupied with creativity, worry, problem-solving, reflection, etc. all without any outward physical appearance of engagement. Alternatively, they could also simply be resting their minds from the exhaustion of work, care-giving, pain, etc. Watching the world go by can be one of the most wonderful pastimes!

Posted 06 Oct 2010 at 10:47 am
  2. Heather wrote:

I was going to ask something along the lines of the first commenter: why do we assume that sitting and thinking and looking is not useful? I’d like to hear about creating a culture of yes. Yessiness.

Posted 06 Oct 2010 at 4:09 pm
  3. HeadTale wrote:

Hmm, probably saying that people just sitting are wasting time was a pretty bad choice of words. 😉

There is definitely value in “just sitting” and I even recently read an article talking about the negative effect that our constant, on-the-go, always-plugged-in lifestyle is having on people’s mental health these days.

I also realise that for a lot of people, that half hour on the bus every morning and afternoon is a bit of a decompression zone – between home and work or wherever.

But I guess what I was getting at, with my librarian hat firmly in place, was that there are a lot of people on the bus who probably don’t even think of reading (or whatever) as a legitimate option for entertaining and educating themselves during this otherwise free time.

Of course I’m biased but the fact that I get nearly an hour of reading in each day *is* my relaxation and decompression although I know that’s not the case for everyone.

I didn’t really get into it in my post but I also sometimes feel sad that the bus is one of those places, like elevators and lines at the store, where society puts you in a cone of silence and you miss all kinds of opportunity to meet and talk to new people.

The other day, I happened to catch the bus at a different time than I normally do and ended up sitting right across from a woman I’d never seen on my route before. She got off first at the same stop as me, walked in the same direction as me, turned onto the same street I live on (with me increasingly feeling like a stalker as I followed behind her!)

Turns out she lives a few doors down from us but I’d never met her before and if I’d chatted with her, maybe we wouldn’t be the suburban strangers that we are now.

(And yes, I know I could easily be one of those “chatty” folks on the bus talking to every single person I encounter. But we all know how those people are regarded. So then what was my point again? I guess that if everybody felt that it was okay to chit-chat a bit rather than sit in steely silence, the world might be a happier, friendlier place. Or something)

Thanks to both of you for the comments!

Posted 06 Oct 2010 at 8:37 pm
  4. SJM wrote:

So many hats, so little time! Time for a library promotion campaign that targets transit users. 😉
    Coincidentally, I was on the bus Sat eve (heading out to see roller derby!) and a guy sat next to me and right away said “Hi, how are you?” in a friendly manner. Of course, I was immediately on high alert! I made polite albeit limited conversation with him for several blocks and he wished me a good evening at his stop. The whole experience left me pondering everything from my own unwitting biases against mental illness (real or imagined) to why hadn’t I brought my umbrella since it was raining by the time I got off the bus.
    Life leaves you thinkin’!

Posted 07 Oct 2010 at 10:23 pm
  5. HeadTale wrote:

Actually, I have to admit that I kept thinking RPL should do a “Get Caught Reading” promotion on the buses.

I thought I was a genius but then I realised it was a program I must’ve heard about when we were in Calgary.

Posted 07 Oct 2010 at 10:41 pm

Trackbacks & Pingbacks 1

1. From Head Tale - Some Thoughts on “One Day” by David Nicholls on 06 Oct 2010 at 9:30 pm

[…] Stealing an idea from yesterday’s list, I want to talk a bit more about the book “One Day” by David Nicholls since I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it all day. […]