Friday Fun Link – Are You A Degree Snob? (March 6, 2009)

I'm not sure where I first heard the term “degree snob” but it was most memorably put to me in reference to a professional librarian who would literally not lower themself to speak to non-professional staff if it could be helped!

With that as a jumping off point (and based on some of my own experiences – yes, my parents did take out the ad in the hometown paper with my blessing; no, my degree is not hanging at either my work or home), I created the following quiz.

It's hard to get perfect answers so try to pick the one that best matches your situation/experiences.  (Also, I didn't go back and review the questions too closely so there are probably a few typos and the like throughout.)

Enjoy!

280? How can you have 280? I scored 160 and I have 3 degrees!
    (of course, my score is probably due to the fact that all 3 of them are in the original envelopes, shoved in a box somewhere…)
    (PS – have a great time in Vegas and enjoy your week off)

Posted 06 Mar 2009 at 5:11 pm

I got 220, but I think the quiz was acting funny, the same question popped up a couple times..also…why more points for working in academia? It doesn't always make you more academic… 😛

Posted 06 Mar 2009 at 8:20 pm

320. Hmm. I did have my degrees framed and hanging at home, but didn't rehang when I moved last year.
    Admittedly my hackles got up a bit the other night when I met a woman and she said her sister was a librarian: “She went to Seneca” (i.e library technician program) But I shook it off after a few moments, because really, I'm not a degree snob.

Posted 06 Mar 2009 at 9:45 pm

I re-did it and got 260 so I think that's pretty accurate – no idea why I got that high of a score though?
    If I remember correctly, each of the ten questions was worth 0, 20, 40 and 60 points with the final “bonus” question worth 0, 10, 20 and 30 maybe. So you could get a score from 0 to 630. So I guess I'm halfway to a degree snob which I'm okay with – I like to be equalitarian but at the same time, I do take a small measure of pride in earning my Masters (though I do speak to our clerical staff!)

Posted 07 Mar 2009 at 12:16 am

It wasn't just a question that was worded very similarly instead of an actual duplicate? There are a couple of those that even I had to read twice – and I created the thing!
    I know it's a generalization (as are many of these “answers”) but I'd say that many people are attracted to academic libraries at least in part due to the ability to work in an environment that is all about academics and all that goes with that – including being around people who are pursuing degrees (as opposed to public libraries where you're around people who are “degrees of phew!”)

Posted 07 Mar 2009 at 12:25 am

That's really the crux of this in a lot of ways – “professional librarians” and what that means. Some people get *really* worked up that only they are truly librarians, some professionals with MLIS's are okay with anybody in a library being called a librarian.

Posted 07 Mar 2009 at 12:27 am