Small Steps

If you visit this blog in person (and why would you in the age of RSS?), you'll see that I've installed the Mac-daddy version of last.fm so you can once again track when I am listening to embarrassing music from my high school days.

I admit that the learning curve on the Mac is a bit larger than I expected – this is partly due to lack of time to just straight out devote to learning stuff (As an example, Pace just filled his dump truck with some rice puff snacks.  And has now dumped it all over our living room floor.)

So here are some of the latest questions I need to resolve:
– is it possible to cut & paste files on a Mac or can you only copy them then delete the original?
– where does iPhoto store the photos you download?  Are they stored in a proprietary format so that you can't go in and muck about with the originals (ie. renaming the files and directories they're in)?  Is it true that iPhoto makes a copy of every single photo for its index or did I mis-read something somewhere?
– how do you create the equivalent of a Windows shortcut to a specific directory or file?
– does anyone know a program that will open password protected WordPerfect 8.0 files?  (Didn't think so…)

I've still got a desktop Windows XP machine I bought for cheap from Southeast Regional Library when they were clearing out some old machines so I can still get at those old WP files and still play EA NHL 2000.  So it's not like I'm totally cut-off.  Anybody have any experience with Parallels or any other software to run Windows programs on a Mac?  Recommendations?

Anyhow, that's it for now.  Later…

You can cut and paste text on a mac by pressing the command button and then 'x' instead of pressing the control button and 'x' like you do in windows. To paste this text, press the command button and 'v.' Hope this helps!

Posted 21 Oct 2008 at 9:27 pm

I know you can do that within documents but I don't think you can do that with the actual files.
    For example, if I select a Word document called “jason.doc” and hit CMD-X, it won't cut the file.
    I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but a bit frustrating so far.

Posted 26 Oct 2008 at 7:41 am

Oddly enough, you can't do it. You *can* use Cmd-C to copy files in the Finder, but Cmd-X…no. And there doesn't seem to be any alternative method either. Why this is, I can't imagine, but it is a little annoying. The only way to *move* a file from one folder to another is to drag it. (Or, okay, use a Terminal command, but that's a bit of overkill…) Someone did write a script to let you cut and paste files, but I haven't tried it myself.
    You've probably figured this one out by now, but shortcuts are called aliases; just right-click on the file or folder (Ctrl-click if you're using a one-button mouse) and go to Make Alias.
    iPhoto keeps photos in Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals (or /Modified). They're just jpgs, not in some iPhoto-only format, so if/when you want to move to different software there's no problem moving your pictures over (though it's usually better to do that by exporting your photos out of iPhoto rather than taking the original files…that way you can set the pictures' filenames to be whatever names you gave them within iPhoto.) I should also note that people have been known to screw up their iPhoto database by messing around with files in that Pictures/iPhoto Library folder from within the Finder – better stick with going through the iPhoto interface.
    Re Windows – I haven't run Windows on a Mac in many years, so I don't have any useful comments about that, except that if you have an Intel Mac, you can install Windows and just run it natively, skipping the emulation software part entirely. But if you want to run any version older than XP you really need something like Parallels. (And remember to keep your AV software on the Windows side up to date, because it's perfectly capable of getting infected, even though that won't spread to the Mac side of your machine).
    …Also, yay OS X! 🙂 A few random cool things you may not have encountered yet: hold down the Ctrl key and scroll up/down to zoom in/out on any part of the screen. Or drag images out of a browser and drop 'em on your desktop (or any folder) to save them (you can do that with text too, but I mostly don't). And Spotlight, like Google, will also do math or dictionary lookup (just type in a word or math problem).

Posted 10 Nov 2008 at 4:45 am

(Oh, and if you're on a MacBook sans mouse, you can still do the zooming trick – hold down Ctrl and drag two fingers at a time on your trackpad.)

Posted 10 Nov 2008 at 4:48 am

This is perhaps the single most frustrating thing I've found with the Mac so far – cutting & pasting files is so core to file management in Windows that find that I'm neglecting my file management almost completely – just downloading or saving stuff to the desktop and leaving it there rather than dealing with it.
    I actually didn't know that shortcuts were “aliases” so that's very helpful and will likely help with the file management a bit.
    That iPhoto system seems so foreign to what I'm used to with Windows – having “My Pictures” as the default photo directory and being able to go in there to deal with photos however I want – cut, copy, move, edit – whatever. I know you can do that via the software whether Picasa (Win) or iPhoto (Mac) but it just feels like the difference between doing car repairs via looking at the lights on the dashboard and being able to get right under the hood and poke around.
    Thanks for the tips re: dragging photos and zooming – both very cool!

Posted 23 Nov 2008 at 3:17 am

Not sure how useful it is but definitely one of the most fun things you can do on the Mac – wheeee!!!

Posted 23 Nov 2008 at 3:18 am