Future Library Director Training???

Our library director commutes daily from Regina to Weyburn and back, a round-trip of about two and a half hours.  He told a funny story before Christmas about one day a few years ago when a blizzard hit the province and he was the only person to make it to work that day – even though everybody else on staff lived right in Weyburn!  (Good thing he did too – a window had broken at their old headquarters building so he ended up spending the first half of the day shoveling out the snow drift that had accumulated in the stacks! )

So this afternoon, a big blizzard hit Saskatchewan and since I was already out on the road after a 7am start, I had to make a decision as to whether to stay overnight in Carnduff, a town two hours away from Weyburn, try to make it back halfway to Estevan or all the way home.  Being a good ol' prairie boy, I chose the stupidest option and drove all the way home in heavy swirling, blowing snow. (It should've been a clue when I pulled in for gas just after leaving Carnduff and the attendant said she hadn't heard how the roads were as far as Weyburn but two semis had just pulled in and said they were calling it a night.)

But anyhow, other than a brief stop to check on a car in the ditch (nobody there), I made it with the sounds of Beach Boys “Fun Fun Fun” on satellite radio, guiding me home the final couple miles.

The funniest part?  One of my father-in-law's co-workers who also drives a fuel truck for Petro-Canada (ie. makes his living driving) is currently upstairs, storm-stayed because he doesn't want to risk it driving back to his hometown which is fifteen minutes outside Weyburn. Wuss!

I made the same comment to you on Facebook, but I've noticed that each time you publicly discuss your upcoming long road trips, Saskatchewan gets slammed with a snowstorm. This one was actually pretty bad, with the wind (says the girl from Ontario, who can't quite believe that the city doesn't shut down when they get 15-20 cm of snow and -30 as daytime highs).
    Um, can you PLEASE stop driving all over the province?
    Just kiddin'.
    But I hope Shea reamed you out sufficiently for taking [stupid?] risks.

Posted 29 Jan 2008 at 7:08 am

My question is for you in your tech expert role rather than your long-haul trucker role. If a patron asked you about her 11 yr. old grandson wanting a facebook acct. like his friends have (ignoring that she isn't the parent, and knowing that lots of 11 yr. olds get around the posted age requirement of 13 for facebook and gaming sites), what would you say about the pros and cons (or risks)? What do people think about kids on facebook?

Posted 30 Jan 2008 at 1:12 am

maybe the experienced truck drivers are just SMART enough to stay off the road! 😉
    That being said, a friend called me today and said Ontario is supposed to get a snowstorm sometime (Friday?) and we're supposed to be moving me and my stuff up to Montreal Saturday. He asked if I'd still want to go if it snowed really bad and I was like “oh yeah”.

Posted 30 Jan 2008 at 1:27 am

And as I replied, weather control happens to be my super power. Nobody realised that I only use it for evil! 😉
    Me driving home was stupid but what's really stupid in my opinion is that we don't have something in the labour code that says a business has to shut down for the day (or at least give its employees inside work) if the temperature is below -40 if said business has employees who work outside for a large portion of their day – construction crews, rig workers, that type of thing. I mean, have exceptions for the essential service-type people – snow removal and whatnot – but really, if that new condo development doesn't get a day or two further along, is it really the end of the world?
    Oh, and Shea didn't ream me out. She's used to me taking stupid risks. It's weird that having a baby should make me stop but it was the thought of seeing Pace that, more than anything, made me want to keep trucking. Parenthood is a dangerous thing too, I guess.

Posted 02 Feb 2008 at 7:10 am

I've had similar questions actually and what I tend to do is say something like “Facebook is fairly safe but you have to be aware of what information you put on it. By default, the privacy settings are somewhere in the middle as to who can see what about you and they can be loosened or tightened as you see fit.” At this point, I usually tell the anecdote about a psychiatrist friend who joined and maxed all his privacy settings to see if I could find him (I couldn't) as a way to show that it can be made very private indeed. I also tell some tricks people use to be more secure – not joining networks, not posting a picture, not using their full or real name when they sign up.
    This would also be a good scenario to discuss what I sometimes talk about – namely how there seems to be a generational difference in what people are comfortable putting online and how neither absolute secrecy or absolute openness is necessarily right or wrong, they're just a fact of life for how the different generations approach things.
    Of course, when a teen and her mom came to a recent public session, I was happy that I wasn't able to get to the teen's profile (with her permission as I tried) since she was only in her high school network. I was however, able to view her friends and then click into the profile of a friend who was in the Regina network. And it took a bit of explaining when his profile popped up and he had the “What SEX! colour are you!” application installed. :-0

Posted 02 Feb 2008 at 7:19 am

Yeah, truckers usually drive through anything so that should've been a clue. But in a weird way, knowing that truckers were getting off the road helped me decide to keep going as I knew that meant there would be less traffic and less chance of either catching up to a slower moving vehicle or being caught by a faster moving one – especially a big, scary one. Calculated risk but here I am, still in one piece luckily.

Posted 02 Feb 2008 at 7:23 am