New CLA Web Site Launches

Here's an announcement that went out today about a project I've been volunteering on for the last six months or so.  There's always going to be small things you'd change but overall, the new site is a big improvement on what the CLA had before and I'm proud to have been a part of this project!

I am extremely pleased to announce that the CLA
website (http://www.cla.ca) has launched as of 5 am this morning. However, there can be a delay of
up to 48 hours before the Internet recognizes that the site has been redirected
to a new server on your computer. However, I was able to view the new site on
my home computer at 6 am this morning.

I would like to thank the hard working members of the
CLA Web Re-build Taskforce. Their input, feedback and revisions on the website
and Division sections were essential to the project. The CLA Web Re-build Taskforce
(non-staff) members are:

Cabot YU – CASLIS

Candice Dahl – CACUL

Cheryl Stenstrom – Accessibility

Colleen Bell – CLTA & Interest Groups

Jason Hammond – CAPL

Richard Beaudry – CASL

Wendy Rodgers – Member Communications Advisory
Committee

Please join me in congratulating the CLA staff for
their part on the revisions on the new website and especially to Andy Giffen,
CLA Webmaster who has worked tirelessly over the past 6 months to bring the new
CLA/ACB website into existence.

Well done to all the contributors!

Judy Green

Manager, Marketing & Communications
Canadian Library Association

328 Frank St.
Ottawa,ON K2P 0X8
Tel:  613-232-9625 ext 322
Fax: 613-563-9895
Email: jgreen@cla.ca
Website: www.cla.ca

That is a big improvement. More modern-looking and better organized. I'm not sold on the scrolling text, but that may just be personal preference. Possibly born of lingering trauma from the blink tag in the nineties. 🙂

Posted 01 Nov 2007 at 7:14 am

I just blogged too about the site since I read Jason's post and the scrolling text was my only complaint! Colleague at the ref desk with me also mentioned that too when i showed her the page….I don't mind scrolling, it's just a tad fast for my liking!

Posted 01 Nov 2007 at 2:58 pm

Ha, not just me. 🙂

Posted 01 Nov 2007 at 9:52 pm

A big improvement. But still no RSS 🙁

Posted 02 Nov 2007 at 1:18 pm

Hmm, I've got HTML enabled. I wonder…

Posted 04 Nov 2007 at 5:35 am

I didn't ask for this but too bad I only got a couple comments (oh, and Jen put some thoughts on her blog) as I think I might forward this thread to the CLA webmaster so he can see some feedback that's come in (I'm sure they're getting lots as is since the launch was announced.)
    One thing when you do a project like this – you get so close to it that you don't even notice the basic things (like the scrolling “news” text) that you might have suggested changing at a different point in the process.
    The other thing that should be noted is that simply porting the information from the previous CLA site was a *massive* undertaking and I think that took up a lot of the design time. So hopefully things like RSS and more Web 2.0 goodness will be forthcoming as the site continues to be developed.

Posted 04 Nov 2007 at 5:38 am

It helps a lot to get people to look at it who are coming at it fresh, doesn't it?
    I can imagine! I do think you guys did a good job, all things considered. 🙂

Posted 06 Nov 2007 at 11:50 pm

Ohhh, now that is evil. 🙂
    (Odd, though – I saw this before and it wasn't blinking then…maybe a different-browser thing.)

Posted 10 Nov 2007 at 4:18 am

Could be. I'm actually surprised it shows up in Firefox – “I thought you were better than that!”

Posted 10 Nov 2007 at 2:57 pm

As I may have said above, the big advantage of web projects over print projects is that they're continual works-in-progress.

Posted 10 Nov 2007 at 3:37 pm