Advice From An (Almost) Librarian

The end of the semester at FIMS looms and for various students, the end of the program is near as well.  On that note, Michelle L. has a list of Library School Advice from an Almost Librarian that's worth checking out.

Congrats also to Barb Janicek who won the Spirit of Librarianship Award for the Summer 2007 semester.  (That's a nice segue because Michelle won it the semester before and now I have double the reason to finally update my Spirit of Librarianship page!

Hearing the news is also kind of bittersweet in a way – Michelle and Barb were two of the closest friends I made at FIMS but after next semester, my connections to the place will be all but done as I'll have been away from the place for a full year (!) and so, for the first time, will not know any of the incoming students.

Okay, that's not completely true – I'm (virtually) meeting the occasional incoming student who stumbles upon my blog and contacts me.  I'll also have connections via various part-timers who are still around.  And even the line of close friends winning SoL might not end – I've got high hopes for the newly minted Master Philosopher, the returning Quinn Dupont to sweep to SoL glory in his final term at FIMS!

Thanks Jason…congrats again to Barb…well deserved.
    You are missed around here Jason, those who knew you, speak of you often and those that didn't speak of your blog 😉

Posted 09 Aug 2007 at 3:34 am

Thanks for the shout-out Jason (and Michelle).
    It's true – you're still a legend around here. Well, I think someone said that you're “the popular librarian” and I corrected them and said, “no – he's the NOTORIOUS librarian.” (You're welcome). Others have said that they feel like they know you through your blog, but feel funny about friending you on Facebook because they don't *actually* know you and you don't know them. Regardless, we're still talking about you here and you've been away for eight months. Eventually we'll all fade away from memory at FIMS – I think the shelf-life for notoreity is probably two years at best and you'd have to have done something dramatic for students to still be talking about it. Then again, in a storytelling class about urban legends our instructor jokingly challenged us to start some FIMS urban legends.
    I say, whatever the legend is, it should involve you. 🙂

Posted 09 Aug 2007 at 2:45 pm

Hey hey, i'll be your eyes and ears for at least four more years. At least i hope the gulf between MS and LIS isn't that huge!
    Plus i'm sure you could always comen back to teach? Hmm? Information entrepreneurship? 501? Or hey! Come do your Ph.d?! Yes Jason, yes…… (shea's gonna kill me)
    Jackson

Posted 09 Aug 2007 at 4:44 pm

Well, that's nice to hear. When I started this blog, I purposely chose to write a lot about my experiences at FIMS (good and bad) in the hopes that those who came later would perhaps find it (and find it useful.) But there was no guarantee of that so it's nice to hear from someone still at FIMS that students do know of it.
    I think that “people who knew me personally” threshold will be the next big test. Will the blob get passed down to newcomers and prove as useful/informative/entertaining/infuriating to them as it has to some who came after (but still overlapped) with me?
    “Only time will tell” as they say in the clock factory.
    wondered if anybody would find it after I was gone.

Posted 09 Aug 2007 at 10:53 pm

Well, I hope anyone who reads this blog will feel free to add me on Facebook as well! I covered this before a few times but I should repeat it every once in awhile. The last thing I want is for this blog to be some “legend” (your word but I'll use it! ) spewing his opinions to the masses – I want it to connect people, to create interactions, to teach the world to sing.
    It doesn't happen often but one of my favourite things is when posters have a discussion among themselves in the comments without me feeling like I need to even contribute my own thoughts.
    Yeah, two years sounds about right for “FIMS fame”. And the only FIMS urban legend I can think of is that some couple had late-night sex in the computer lab. No idea if that's true or not but that's got the makings of a good urban legend anyhow. (And if true, it definitely had nothing to do with me! Late night drinking in the lab on the other hand…
    And if you were going to create an urban legend of FIMS involving me, I really have no idea what it would be.
    “He was in the photocopier room all along!”

Posted 09 Aug 2007 at 11:06 pm

Other than the fact that I'm a maroon who doesn't know his Foucault from his fulcrum, I think I'd make a decent academic. I like teaching, think I'm not too bad at it, I like doing research, I have shitloads of ideas for LIS related-projects I'd like to complete/study, even now. Plus I can sit on committees with the best of them!

Posted 09 Aug 2007 at 11:08 pm