And Now I Am A Librarian!

Well, after four interviews, three months of waiting, two offers, and one really big decision, I have
officially accepted an 18-month full-time temporary contract with Southeast Regional Library in
Weyburn, an hour south of Regina.

The other offer was a full-time permanent position with the Provincial
Library and it had a very strong appeal as well.  But in the end, I
decided to go for the one that felt like it would be the best fit for
who I am and what I want to do.  (My parents think I'm nuts to turn down
a FT perm government job.  They might be right!)

If you read my blog, you'll know that I'm a big fan of seeing events
come “full circle” and this is the ultimate example for me.  When I applied to UWO, my
Statement of Intent focused heavily on the impact of my hometown library in my life.  Now, one short year later, I'll be responsible for that branch (and 47 others around southeast Saskatchewan!)

I start my position as Branch Supervisor, responsible for the small
branches in various communities around SE Saskatchewan on Monday April 2
(well,  I actually started today for their AGM.)  My area covers 75
000 people over an 18 000 square mile area.

I'm extremely excited about this opportunity – it's in public library
system which is my main area of interest, it's where Shea's parents live
so she can spend a lot of time with them during her mat leave year, and
I'll be able to do a huge range of things – programming, collection
development, IT, reference and more – that I'd be unlikely to get to do to that extent anywhere
else.

I am extremely proud of my rural roots and the chance to work in many communities I'm familiar with is a dream come true.  On top of that, the people who come out of SE Regional, including the current
head of Regina Public Library, have a strong reputation in the library
community so that was a deciding factor as well.

Oh, and I'm happy to report that the two jobs I didn't get offered went to FIMS classmates and if it wasn't meant for me to get those jobs, I'm happy to hear it was a couple people I know.  (I spent an enjoyable day yesterday showing one of my former classmates/new colleagues who is originally from Ontario around Regina.)

On that note, I am
officially inviting any and all of you to apply for jobs in
Saskatchewan.  Our streets aren't paved with gold like Alberta but the
straw that we use does have a similar colour!

Well Jason congratulations, the job sounds amazing. I can hardly believe that a year from now I will be qualified for the same thing! Sounds like you made the right decision for you – so everything will fall into place, now and in 18 months, and will unfold as it is meant to.
    Congratulations again and good luck next week!

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 12:51 am

Fantastic! I'm so happy for you – and glad to see so many recent grads getting jobs within that three-month window. I know it was a difficult choice, but how great that you had two good things to choose from. It must make this even sweeter, knowing that you are doing it because it's what you *really* want. Congratulations! (I may be knocking on your door come job-search time so hang on to any children's positions! And I'm only half-kidding).

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 1:28 am

Congratulations Jason. Sounds like an excellent choice. John M.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 2:24 am

Congrats! Couldn't have happened to a nicer 130. Feel free to probe my mind for its 2 months more experience than you. Ah, hell, I'll be calling you for advice tomorrow.
    Oh, yeah, order your branches to get copies of Shelf Monkey.
    C'mon, do a fellow grad a solid.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 2:27 am

Congratulations Jason. J and I are so happy for you.
    Christina and Jonathon

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 3:10 am

Cool, Congrats.
    I know the fellow you're filling in for, he's a reservist right? I traveled to Washington DC with him by bus a few years back and we both went to the UofR.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 5:45 am

Congrats again Jason! It's great to hear about a strong FIMS presence in libraryland too! 🙂

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 5:52 am

congrats! i think it's brave to turn down the gov't job for your real passion. good luck!

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 2:25 pm

Congrats! You held out and made it, well done!

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 3:03 pm

Bravo, Jason! It couldn't happen to a nicer person.
    Speaking of nice people, will you be working with Kam? I've done some programming with him over the last couple of years and he's great to work with.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 3:13 pm

Yep, perhaps the single craziest thing about the program is that within a year, you can go from whatever your life is to a full-fledged, Masters-owning, professional librarian.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:00 pm

Yeah, a lot of us seem to be finding work fairly quickly which is good news.
    If you are willing to come to Saskatchewan, I will push my boss as hard as humanly possible to create a position just for you! And I'm *not* half-kidding about that.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:02 pm

Thanks John. I'm pretty excited!

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for the offer. I'm glad the vast majority of librarians are so generous with sharing their knowledge and experience. Makes things much easier for all of us.
    I'll see what I can do about that “special” order. Maybe “Shelf Monkey” can be the first book I officially order in my new position? I was trying to think of a book that would be memorable and symbolic and all that stuff. So yours would be a good fit.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:07 pm

Good to hear from you guys. I keep meaning to e-mail to see how things are going but am both lazy and forgetful. If you get a chance, send me an e-mail with the scoop on love, life and happenstance back in London!

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:09 pm

Wow, small world (well, they say the world has six degrees of separation but Saskatchewan only has one degree – and I believe that's true.)
    Yep, I'm taking over for him while he is doing training and then deployed overseas for the next eighteen months (it's a six month tour).
    I'll mention the connection tomorrow.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:14 pm

It was one of my curiosities during library school – do librarians tend to run with/end up with people from their own schools when they're out in the real world? So far, my impression is mixed – some places do and some don't – but southeast regional is definitely a FIMS enclave. Only my boss went elsewhere – Chicago – which makes him fairly unique in the Canadian library world I think.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:17 pm

Thanks a lot – I knew about this job the earliest but they were extremely generous to say “wait until you hear from the other librarians and then talk to us”. Although, I guess strategically, that could be a good move on their part – wait to hear *if* i get other offers and then what they are and then base this offer on that. But I knew this was closest to my ideal position as soon as I heard about it – the hardest part was deciding if the logisitics of maintaining two households, living with in-laws, commuting to Regina for various things (doctor, pre-natal classes) was worth it. And in the end, the answer was fairly obvious.

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:20 pm

Thanks! I won't be working directly with Kam as far as I know but we'll be across the hall from each other and so there might be opportunities to do some things. (He's a fun guy – I've hung out with him a few times including a really good chat at Christmas 2005 just before I shipped out to FIMS.)
    No worries about the anonymous comment but if you read this, I'd love to know who you are – I like to see all the inter-connections that happen in the library world like this one!

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:22 pm

Thanks muchly! (Shea asked “why don't you just post one big thank-you to everyone?” Well, besides having a semi-official policy of trying to respond to each comment I receive specifically, I do believe this comment thread now holds the blog record for most comments received. Time to go write something controversial again I guess…)

Posted 01 Apr 2007 at 7:42 pm

Woohoo, great news!
    I guess you can officially change the name of your blob to…
    “Head Tale – Let Another Librarian's Blog”

Posted 02 Apr 2007 at 2:50 am

Hey Jason that's wicked! Good on ya. As a government librarian, I can tell you that it was the right choice. hahahha. What's that? Yes i would like to go for another coffee break.

Posted 02 Apr 2007 at 1:03 pm

YIPPPEEEEEE! Jason the librarian. Knew it would happen someday. Congrats!
    No doubt you'll be a 'rarin librarian: the kind you always hoped to be.
    love from Linda B. still librarian-wannabe…

Posted 02 Apr 2007 at 4:47 pm

Congratulations, Jason! So glad to hear that you landed something you're excited about and is located where your heart is. Your post made me miss Regina a wee bit…

Posted 03 Apr 2007 at 7:30 pm

Where I used to work, we worked through lunches and coffee breaks – did make for a quicker day but could burn you out as well so I'm enjoying the regular breaks. (Not multiple times per day though! Damn government employees! )

Posted 03 Apr 2007 at 11:17 pm

Well, so far, I'm a meek and mild 'brarian. But it's only been two days!

Posted 03 Apr 2007 at 11:18 pm

Yep, Saskatchewan is awesome. Today, we stopped at the LB and there was a long line so the clerk tried to get everybody to sing!

Posted 04 Apr 2007 at 12:44 am

Yeah, I'll put that on the “To Do” list. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted 04 Apr 2007 at 12:45 am

Done. But it's pretty plain and not too exciting. Maybe I should have a contest for readers who may have better graphic design skills than I do? (ie. everybody)

Posted 06 Apr 2007 at 3:53 pm