Baby Guess Book – Virtual Edition

One of Shea's mom's co-workers made us a “Baby Guess Book” which is basically a scrapbook filled with baby-related clip art, poems, and a bunch of spots for family and friends to record their guesses about various aspects of our baby.

I thought I'd do a virtual edition and allow anyone reading the opportunity to play along as well.  If you want to try, post a comment with guesses for the following categories:

Birthdate:
Weight:
Sex:
Name:
Future Occupation:
Guess By:

As a bit of help, I can let you know that Shea's official due date is June 6 (although one six-year old cousin we polled guessed “Christmas Day” as his pick anyhow!)

So obviously, guesses can be fun or serious (my favourite guess for a name so far is by one of Shea's cousins who suggested “Heywood”.  He thought it would be useful to be able to say: “Hey, would you get me a beer?  Hey, would you cut the grass?  Hey, would you…”)

Apparently some people make the game into a 50/50-type draw – people pay a loonie for a guess and then the collected money gets split between the baby's education fund and the person guessing the correct birthdate with the weight as a tie-breaker (in true Price Is Right fashion, closest without going over takes it.)

We're not collecting money but to encourage people to guess, I'm going to promise to send the winning guesser their choice of a free copy of one of the following books:

No Safe House – Diane Poulin
Samantha's Secret Room – Lyn Cook (oops, this one is a keeper.  Sorry 'bout that.)
The Maze – Monica Hughes

Those books have nothing to do with babies really (I think all are YA titles instead) but if anybody's interested in an excellent book about babies, I'd recommend Big Breath of a Wish by Richard Harrison, a poetry collection that was nominated for the 1999 GG Award.

…so for 'future occupation', how long do we have to wait for the book? (grin)
    Birthdate: May 28
    Weight: 7lbs 2oz
    Sex: Not for a long time…
    Gender: F
    Name: Sophia
    Future Occupation: Whatever her heart desires
    Guessed By: cenobyte

Posted 28 Dec 2006 at 7:33 pm

Man, I had a disclaimer about the “future occupation” not being a tie-breaker since nobody wants to wait 18+ years for their prize. But then I thought nobody would call me on it and took it out. Voila – first comment!
    Giving in to the biases of our society, I would answer the “Sex?” question thusly:
    Sex (if female child): “Son, did you ever see a thirty-ought-six this shiny?”
    Sex: (if male child): “as much as possible – that's my boy!”

Posted 28 Dec 2006 at 7:50 pm

So, because of a conversation about recent events in my Home Town, I ask my mother, “mum, what is the statutory rape age in SK?” (I was 17).
    “THIRTY FIVE!”, she shouts, from the kitchen.
    “Oh,” I reply. “Huh. That's a little extreme.”
    It took me a good three days to figure out what she was really saying.

Posted 29 Dec 2006 at 7:20 am

Chris Rock has a hilarious routine about how his only duty as the father of a daughter is to “keep her off the pole”. As always, YouTube, has me covered:

Posted 30 Dec 2006 at 2:48 am

Date: June 11
    Weight: 6lb 4oz
    Sex: Girl
    Name: Amberley
    Future Occupation: Archaeologist
    Guess By: Lindsay H.

Posted 30 Dec 2006 at 3:35 pm

Here are my guesses…
    Birthdate: June 9
    Weight: 8 lbs 2 oz
    Sex: M
    Name: Thomas (in honour of Shea's maiden name) London (in hour of your time spent in Ontario)
    Future Occupation: Deputy Prime Minister
    Guess By: Kristina Dubois

Posted 09 Feb 2007 at 5:54 pm

Thanks for the guess, Kristina.

Posted 09 Feb 2007 at 9:21 pm

birthdate: Saturday, June 9th 2007
    weight: 7lbs. 9 oz.
    sex: boy
    name: Oscar
    future occupation:lawyer (lawyer to rebel against parental wishes, but a “for good” lawyer, because you can't escape your lefty upbringing no matter how you try!)
    guess by: Linda B.

Posted 19 Mar 2007 at 1:57 am

Okay, seeing as you bumped the contest. I'll throw my penny at the wall.
    Birthdate: June 8th.
    Weight: 8 lbs. 4 oz.
    Sex: girl
    Name: Piper (How would I know? I'm just suggesting a name I really like.)
    Future Occupation: Sorry, but one day you are going to have to come to terms with how proud you are of your daughter's success as an investment banker.
    Guess by: Mike T.

Posted 19 Mar 2007 at 4:05 pm

Man, what did Shea and I do to you guys? Lawyers? Investment bankers? Why not just say Progressive Conservative strategist? 🙂
    Thanks for the guesses though. At least an investment banker would hopefully provide something we've never had – money!

Posted 20 Mar 2007 at 5:13 am

Trackbacks & Pingbacks 1

1. From Head Tale - 2012 “End-of-Year Questions” Meme on 31 Dec 2012 at 1:56 am

[…] time but between working on the Meili campaign, working on a few of my own projects, creating our Baby Guess Book and more, I’ve really seen the power of Google […]