Spirit of Librarianship Fall 2006 – Call For Nominations

The two people on student council who would normally run the SoL Award process were both nominated (along with Council chair) so I ended up volunteering to take it over since it was guaranteed I wouldn't be nominated (well, I could be nominated I guess but I wouldn't have been able to accept having won it before.)

So anyhow, this is the blurb that went out last night.  I would encourage anyone reading this who's eligible (basically any student, faculty or staff) to vote.  It's a very strong field of candidates once again so I won't try to bias anyone by saying who you should vote for – totally non-partisan, that's me!

I'd made some noises at Council about expanding the Awards program a bit but nothing happened this term unfortunately.  I see no reason why we don't have awards for things like volunteer of the year, highest academic average (one for part-timers, one for full-timers), maybe a “rookie of the year” award out of the first-termers, “unsung hero” for those who don't have a big presence but still are helpful, friendly and effective at school, on and on.  It wouldn't be hard to do (future councils, are you listening?) and would help “spread the love” instead of having only one award.

Voting for the Spirit of Librarianship Award is now active!

All
students, faculty and staff are eligible to vote. You may vote any time
between now and Thursday November 30 at 11:59 pm.  Late votes will not
be counted.  The winner will be announced at the “Destressor”, a social
event that is tentatively scheduled for Monday December 4 at 4:30pm at
the Grad Club.

Below is a list of the nominees and the blurbs which were
submitted that explain why each person was nominated.  You can only
vote for one person and your first vote is final.  (If you nominated a
person that does *not* count as your vote and you have to re-vote for
them for it to count.  Sorry for this inconvenience.)

Please send your vote with the subject heading “SOL VOTE
– <Nominee Name>” in the subject line to the following email
address:

mlisstudentcouncil@gmail.com

Thank you for your participation!

The Spirit of Librarianship Committee
Jason Hammond
Mary Brown

PS – if you would like to learn more about the Spirit of Librarianship Award, you can visit:

——————————————————————-

Spirit of Librarianship Nominees – Fall 2006
Emily Gusba
Iona Henderson
Lindsay Holdsworth
Dave Hudson
Barb Janicek
Michael McAlpine
Megan Potts
Magda Skowran

Gillian Webster

Emily Gusba
Emily
is energetic and friendly in class.  She has helped organize
extra-curricular activities for our class and eagerly supports other
peoples ideas.  She worked hard to make class sweatshirts. Emily is
good at working with others and is always helpful.

Iona Henderson
Iona
is always cheerful, outgoing and energetic every time I see her.  She
is always there to listen to anyone who has problems and is heavily
involved in councils.  Her positive attitude and genuine concern for
everyone makes her an awesome person to be around and work with.  Her
tireless attempts to expose MLISers to the professional and social side
of librarianship should earn her the spirit award.  As a member of the
peer mentoring committee, she has spent countless hours connecting us
with working professionals.  Iona also works to build connections
between students, through her coordinating work with the peer
mentorship group.  Her efforts on the social committee include trying
to convince us that even if we are in library school, we should still
have the occasional evening off.  Even better, she gives out food to
her classmates!  Iona once came to class with home-smoked Pacific
salmon, fresh off the plane from the west coast.

Lindsay Holdsworth
Put
simply, Lindsay is a dynamo.  In addition to taking five classes per
semester for each of the last three semesters (and maintaining an
honour roll average overall), she's worked a part-time job at the
London Public Library and volunteered on a number of student
organizations in high-commitment, high-responsibility positions
including Treasurer for CLA and Chair of Student Council.  When we met
with our Advocacy professor earlier this term, the professor observed
that she felt like she was teaching at
least three future CLA Presidents.  I don't know who the other two
people she was referring to were but I am pretty sure Lindsay

was the third one!

Dave Hudson
I'd
like to nominate Dave Hudson.  He is a great classmate who is
enthusiastic, inquisitive, very helpful, friendly and an all around
good student.  The job of a librarian- we are taught, is to find
information for information seekers.  He has helped many in my class by
sharing his knowledge with those of us who may be lacking it with
regards to assignments.  I think he would be a wonderful candidate for
this award.

Barb Janicek
I'm
nominating Barb Janicek for the Spirit of Librarianship award. Barb is
a dedicated student and a supportive colleague. Always there with a
helpful suggestion, a sympathetic ear or just a videotape of your
favourite show (that you missed, because there's no time!); Barb
represents what is great about the MLIS program. Barb's advocacy on
behalf of her fellow students is inspirational, as is her attention to
detail and strong work ethic. Her calm demeanor and good humour make
her an excellent future librarian and a valuable fellow-student.

Michael McAlpine
I
would like to nominate Michael McAlpine for the Spirit of Librarianship
Award.  Michael has no previous experience in libraries and from the
beginning of the semester he has shown enthusiasm for learning about
librarianship and a dedication to the ideals of the profession.  He is
an eager, hard-working guy who is always willing to help someone in
need and he is excited about his future in the field.  Michael loves
the MLIS Program and his devotion to both his studies and the
profession of librarianship is inspiring to those around him.

Megan Potts
I would
like to nominate Megan Potts of section 002.  She is always attentive
in class, she always participates in class discussion and offers extra
insight into course material. She is very friendly and very
enthusiastic about being in this program. She offers help whenever
asked for it.

Magda Skowran
I'd like to nominate Magda Skowran because she embodies the energy and optimistic attitude that I think librarians should have.

Gillian Webster

I'd
like to nominate Gillian Webster for the Spirit of Librarianship.  I
feel that Gillian exemplifies the true spirit of library and
information science through her dedication to organizing social outings
for the stressed out students of this programme.  We all work hard at
our studies, and often it is refreshing to get out with our colleagues
and friends and blow off some steam.  From my past experiences on
student council I know how much time and effort goes into organizing
these events.  Gillian has also been responsible for fundraising within
the MLIS programme, and takes time to attend and support social events
including the trivia nights on Wednesday evenings, and the speakers
that are brought in by the MLIS administration for lectures.  As well,
she is an active member of her community, working part-time at the
London Public Library, and publishing short stories in some campus
feminist publications.  For these reasons I feel she is an ideal
candidate for the Spirit of Librarianship this semester.

Re: more prizes by Student Council. Sure, it's a great idea to offer more prizes, but, um…how do you find the money for all of 'em? You'd have to hold a lot of bake sales, t-shirt sales, etc. and I suspect buyer fatigue would kick in fairly quickly. Great idea though. 🙂
    Cheers,
    Rachel

Posted 24 Nov 2006 at 11:01 pm

Ah, but I said more *awards*, not more *prizes*!
    Not sure about the past but right now, SoL winner only gets a CLA $50 gift certificate (enough to cover a student membership) and nothing from Council in terms of cash or gifts. So if you expanded the awards program, I don't see why you'd have to start giving out prizes for any of the new awards either.
    I think my reason for wanting to have more awards is that the award wins and nominations, not the prizes, are the important thing. Those are something tangible that you can show to a future employer: “I was nominated for the Volunteer Award at my school”, “I had the highest academic average of full-time students”, “I won the New Librarian award” or whatever.
    In my mind, it's a shame that only one person wins an award right now (and maybe half a dozen or so get nominated) when it would be so easy to have more awards, more nominees and give many students one more thing to set themselves apart when they get into the work world. (Or even just for the recognition it gives people while they're here. There are a lot of people that are equally deserving of awards who never get anything.)
    Are you going on Council next term? Maybe you can help make these new awards happen!

Posted 25 Nov 2006 at 7:10 pm

Ah, but I said more *awards*, not more *prizes*!

Posted 25 Nov 2006 at 9:37 pm

I think $50 is more than they used to give…I didn't think winers got anything when i was tehre otehr than a cool bookmark.
    Another award or 2 may be good, but I wouldn't want them to go award crazy though since that would just diminish the specialness 🙂

Posted 27 Nov 2006 at 7:20 pm

Yeah, in my mind somewhere between 4-6 would be about right so that every award would be unique and “special” in its own right but you're not getting into elementary school track day territory (ie. everybody gets a ribbon.)
    I just found out that an alumni is sponsoring the $50 per semester for the Spirit award (I thought CLA was doing it out of the goodness of their hearts – or at least to encourage students to join their organization.) Pretty cool idea – not that expensive but a great way to give back to the program.
    One of my wild and crazy ideas was to try and set-up some sort of endowment fund for Student Council programs/awards but nothing ever came of that. Lots of librarians aren't in a position to endow $1000 annual awards but giving $100/year to FIMS Student Council might not be as onerous.
    There's a bit of a rumour swirling about trying to start an alumni association (apparently there used to be one but it died out when the merger of GSLIS and the Journalism Dept happened) so maybe it'll still happen?

Posted 29 Nov 2006 at 6:19 am