Randomness (Happy August Long Weekend)

Why do my random thoughts posts always seem to fall around the time of a long weekend?  Strange…

Relationship Theory
I've been thinking about something quite a bit since July.  I read a lot of relationship books and watch a lot of Oprah
so I'm very aware of the theory that says anyone in a relationship can hide their true self in the interest of putting forth the best impression for six months maximum.  After that, their true self can't help but emerge.”  Guys start leaving the toilet seat up after being very conscientious about not doing so.  Gals start wearing sweat pants more often and make-up less often.  (Those are ridiculous gender stereotypes but we're in Oprah-land so that's how we frame things.)

The reason this has been on my mind is that, though we have a very tight cohort, some little cracks are starting to show now that it's six (seven actually) months after we've started the program and in many ways, the same rules that apply to a one-on-one relationship apply to our larger group.   Maybe this isn't even about facades dropping but simply the stress of the end-of-term looming after two very hectic semesters?

For example, here are just a few of the things occupying the minds of my classmates right now:
– various final assignments due next week (our last week of classes)
– co-op placements (and all that goes with that – moving, finding a new apartment, getting settled in a new city, etc.)
– marks for this semester
– classes for next semester (if not going on co-op)
– plans for the break
– various end-of-term events and parties
– I'm sure cautious thoughts of the longer term, once they're done the program, are also being considered now that we've finished two semesters and the end is more in sight, even for those taking the time to do a co-op.

Relationship Theory II
Today is Shea's and my third annual anniversary.  As I've stated before on this blog, we got married three times (LONG story!) and so I technically have three anniversaries to remember each year.  It sounds like a man's worst nightmare but it's not too hard (especially with Yahoo Calendar e-mailing me notices a couple days in advance of each of them!)  If we count every anniversary in the three years we've been married, we've now had as many anniversaries as years that we've been dating so I guess we're just making up for lost time in a way. By the time we're sixty, we'll be able to celebrate our 115th anniversary and that's gotta be some kind of a record.

Relationship Theory III
I know there's quite a few of you out there so how about developing our relationship a bit more since this tends to be a pretty one sided conversation.  If you feel like it, post a comment answering the following:
Favourite Book –
Favourite TV Show –
Favourite Web Site –
Favourite Movie –
Favourite CD –

You can consider your answer an anniversary gift to Shea and I.  Anonymous posts are fine but knowing who's suggesting what is a lot more fun.

Here are my picks:
Favourite Book – hard to pick but I usually say “Slaughterhouse Five”
Favourite TV Show – The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Favourite Web Site – www.metafilter.com
Favourite Movie – Stand By Me
Favourite CD – “Abbey Road” – The Beatles

Classmate of the Day: Gotta go with Linda, Kerry and one other brave anonymous classmate whose name I'll likely never know.  I know all of you have a lot on your minds as well so thanks for the help with everything this week!

Favourite Book – The Man Who Mistook His Wife For His Hat
    Favourite TV Show -Greys Anatomy
    Favourite Web Site -www.askmetafilter.com
    Favourite Movie -Oscar/Coming to America
    Favourite CD -Corb Lund
    Happy Anniversary!

Posted 05 Aug 2006 at 12:13 pm

Favourite Book – What is Bred in the Bone – Robertson Davies
    Favourite TV Show – The Rick Mercer Report / This Hour has 22 Minutes
    Favourite Web Site – http://www.allmusic.com
    Favourite Movie – Dead Poet's Society
    Favourite CD – Beethoven's 9th symphony with Von Karajan conducting, Sigur Ros () is a close second (of course, there are many, but I selected the one that I would take with me to the proverbial desert island)
    CD

Posted 05 Aug 2006 at 4:28 pm

Favourite Book – The Melendy Family
    Favourite TV Show – Globe Trekker (Pilot Guides)
    Favourite Web Site – http://www.lisjobs.com
    Favourite Movie – The Sound of Music
    Favourite CD – Blossom Dearie

Posted 05 Aug 2006 at 6:08 pm

Favourite Book – Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
    Favourite TV Show – Beverly Hills 90210 reruns
    Favourite Web Site – http://www.addictinggames.com
    Favourite Movie – Goodfellas
    Favourite CD – Radiohead – OK Computer
    Happy Anniversary!

Posted 06 Aug 2006 at 5:29 am

Favourite Book – I can never answer this question. Favourite writer is Lois McMaster Bujold, though.
    Favourite TV Show – Stargate
    Favourite Web Site – I've been spending time at http://www.stuff.co.nz/ lately, but that's just my current New Zealand obsessions showing. šŸ™‚ I like the streaming TV clips, and the cute accents.
    Favourite Movie – what else? Lord of the Rings!
    Favourite CD – currently Echo's Children – From the Hazel Tree (but depends on what I've been listening to most recently…)

Posted 06 Aug 2006 at 5:44 am

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!
    Favourite Book – Raymond Carver (What We Talk About When We Talk About Love)
    Favourite TV Show -gave up on TV in 1991
    Favourite Web Site – besides jason's blog, the AUTOCAT listserv (cataloguer's rock!!)
    Favourite Movie – Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads)
    Favourite CD – broken social scene (you forgot it in people)

Posted 06 Aug 2006 at 4:55 pm

Happiest of Happy Anniversaries!
    Favourite Book: The Cracks by Anne Dandurand
    Favourite TV Show: I have trouble even naming a TV show! :0)
    Favourite website: Environment Canada's satellite and radar maps
    Favourite Movie: It's a documentary called “Sabina Gets the Job at VPL” Coming soon, mehopes.
    Favourite CD: if you're asking about favourite music, then it's actually a tape my friend Mel made and I stole back in 2002. It's called “Mix Salsa and Latino Beats” and I still listen to it all the time. More than any CD I own. And no, I don't think that makes me a loser. And if the CBC were on a CD, that would be my favourite. Oooh! If Gwendolyn MacEwen's dramatized “Terror and Erebus” were put onto CD, that would be fantastic and possibly my favourite. And Stan Rogers' “Home in Halifax” makes me cry like a baby every time I listen to it, so I think that makes it qualify for some sort of “favourite” category. Okay done.
    Best wishes for many more happy anniversaries!
    xo Sabina

Posted 06 Aug 2006 at 7:03 pm

Ooh, Stan Rogers. šŸ™‚

Posted 06 Aug 2006 at 7:23 pm

I almost put “Dead Poet's” as my favourite movie. Probably my toughest single pick out of all the categories.

Posted 07 Aug 2006 at 2:54 pm

http://www.lisjobs.com = very appropriate! Have you seen the Foothills Library Association job board? Mostly Alberta but some BC (and other western provinces) as well – http://www.fla.org/jobline.html

Posted 07 Aug 2006 at 2:59 pm

http://www.addictinggames.com – I'm glad I only heard about this site near the end of term!

Posted 07 Aug 2006 at 3:00 pm

I think that movie will be coming to a theatre near you very soon!

Posted 07 Aug 2006 at 3:03 pm

I remember you recommending “Stop Making Sense” awhile ago – at the Wick perhaps? Gotta check it out again – I think I saw it when I was in high school and was like “huh?” (Again, a *very* small prairie town is where I come from.)

Posted 07 Aug 2006 at 3:04 pm

Hey all,
    I feel a bit guilty – I mentioned our “anniversary” just because it's sort of a running joke with Shea and I that we have three every year. Our “real” one that we count is on (er, checks calendar) March 5 which is the day that we had our ceremony in Mexico.
    But thanks for all the Anniversary wishes anyhow – maybe everybody should have three anniversaries per year to spread the happiness?
    Also, I've never posted in one comment thread so much and that “Comment Verification” thing gets a bit irritating since I have to fill it in, even when I'm logged in as the blog owner. Damn spammers and the lengths they make us go to!

Posted 07 Aug 2006 at 3:07 pm

Favourite Book – If on a winter's night a traveller / Italo Calvino
    Favourite TV Show – Freaks and Geeks (borrowed the DVDs)
    Favourite Web Site – The Onion, or Salon. Depends on my mood.
    Favourite Movie – Linda, I'll see your “Stop Making Sense” and raise you a “True Stories”
    Favourite CD – Changes often. Currently Lou Reed and John Cale's “Songs for Drella”

Posted 09 Aug 2006 at 6:27 am